Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Doing Laundry



The biggest differences so far between life in AZ and life in Alaska are the little things. Like, before going outside you don't check to make sure you have your cell phone you make sure you have your gun.  We have no cell service at all. Using an outhouse, instead of remembering to flush you have to remember to toss the used tissue in the bucket and not down the hole. By the way the outhouse doesn't stink. Then there is Laundry. Here are the steps I have to take to wash and dry a load of clothes. Step 1 take clothes from trailer into the laundry tent were the washer is and put them in. Step 2 turn on the generator: make sure well pump and washer are plugged in, flip switch to on, turn on the gas, turn up the choke (only when starting cold) Pull rope until it starts, let idle, turn down choke. Step 3 fill the tank: take the hose over to the power house, hook hose up to the hose hanging from the tank that sits on the roof of the power house, turn valve to open, go over to well pump and flip switch on, watch the tank fill, turn the pump off, turn valve to closed, unhook hose. Step 4 fill washer: take the hose into the laundry tent and place it in the washer, use soap container to hold hose in place, go out to well pump and turn on, go back into tent and put in soap, turn on washer and watch fill from hose and tank until 1 1/2 inches from top, go back out to pump and turn off, go back into tent and take hose out, close lid washer will start. Step 5 Rinse fill: about 20 minutes later go back out to washer, put hose back in washer hold in place with soap container, go out to pump and turn on, go back in to washer and watch fill until 1 1/2 inches from top, go back out and turn off pump, go back in and close lid so washer will start. Step 6  time to hang: Go out to washer, take out clothes and put in basket, turn off generator, Hang clothes with pins on line that hangs in the woods between the trees behind the laundry tent. Step 7 taking down clothes: at the end of the day if it hasn't rained clothes can be taken down from the line and are mostly dry. If it does start to rain you can pull the clothes off the line if they are almost dry or leave them on for an extra rinse if they are still damp. Added note steps 1-7 are all done with a 3 year old attached to my right leg.

This has been a glimps into everyday life.

6 comments:

  1. WOW!! I found your blog when I was reading Susan Stevenson's blog.....I will NEVER complain about doing laundry again :)
    I'm looking forward to following your journey through life in Alaska :)
    My husband and I are moving to Alaska June 2012 wish it was sooner.....
    Liz
    Florida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I moved herE to Alaska in February 2012 and hubby came in March2011. Looking for people who like to be more like self reliant but still have to work full-time to pay of debt .

      Delete
    2. Cool! Were in Alaska are you?

      Delete
  2. And I complain about going down cellar to do laundry. I will never complain again.
    Jill, NY

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL... At least I know it's temporary. Hopefully by winter the washer will be moved into the house though I will still have to flip on the generator and I'm not sure yet how I will fill it at that point since we wont have running water inside. We'll see ;) Still beats doing it all on a wash board.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like my way of doing laundry a whole lot better. Not as much work. Course, it would be better if I had someone else doing it. LOL

    ReplyDelete